Exploring Language and Culture Through Myths and Legends
This course explores how we can use the myths and legends of our respective countries as a gateway into language and culture for our students. As ATC is based in Ireland, teachers will first explore Irish myths and legends and how we can adapt them into learning materials. Then teachers will have the opportunity to create their own materials based around the culture, myths and legends of their own countries. They will ensure that the materials they develop are language and level appropriate.
For teachers applying through the Erasmus Plus Scheme the OID number is E10133233.
The aim of this course is to help teachers:
- Understand the theory behind storytelling and how this can act as a gateway to language and culture.
- Analyse and use Irish myths and legends as a case study for how we can explore language and culture through stories.
- Design materials and activities around stories, myths and legends, ensuring they target specific language aims and expose learners to various aspects of different cultures.
Applicants to this course must have a minimum B2 level of English, as outlined in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Please contact us if you would like to confirm your level.
Part Time Online Course
- 10 hours of live lessons (one 2-hour lesson per week)
- 10 hours of trainer-directed tasks (2 hours study per week)
Final certificate: 20 hours in total
Each week consists of:
- A 2-hour online lesson delivered by a Teacher Trainer from ATC Language Schools.
- Plus 2 hours of trainer-directed study. Participants will be provided with access to online resources which they can use to consolidate their learning and complete trainer-directed tasks.
- Weekly 15-minute one-to-one online meeting with the trainer for feedback on course tasks.
Timetable for live online lessons:
Tuesdays 15:00 - 17:00 GMT
|Start Date||Finish Date|
The online course requires a minimum of 4 participants to proceed with the course, and the maximum in any one group will be 15.
Full Time Online Course or Face-to-face Course
- 20 hours of live training.
- 8 hours of project work/ self-directed study.
Final certificate: 28 hours in total.
The face-to-face programme is held in our Dublin school, located in the heart of Dublin city centre.
Timetable for the full-time course:
Monday to Friday 9:00 – 13:30 GMT
|Start Date||Finish Date|
Fees for face-to-face Course:
€295 Course Fee*
€45 Registration and Administration Fee
- The course fee includes course materials and 1 optional cultural excursion. Visit our training calendar for excursion dates.
- The face-to-face course requires a minimum of 6 participants to proceed with the course, and the maximum in any one group in 2021 will be 10.
*Note on Face-to-Face Training for Summer 2021 Please note that if we are not in a position to deliver our face-to-face training courses due to government restrictions, we will offer the training online instead. The hours will remain the same but all content will be delivered live on Zoom. The course fees will remain the same but participants who have booked a face-to-face training course will receive a €100 transferable voucher for a face-to-face training course at a future date. Individual participants who have booked a face-to-face training course but are unable to travel, or unable to join the class upon arrival in Ireland, can be facilitated in a hybrid classroom where they can connect remotely with the in-class training group. Such participants who are unable to attend in person will receive a €100 transferable voucher for a face-to-face training course at a future date.
Click here to
access The Eaquals Framework for Language Teacher Training and Development. Our training courses have been designed around the Framework to reflect
the key professional competencies needed by language teachers.
Our 1 week Teacher Training & Development courses can be combined with another, or a General English Course, to form a 2 week programme. Please see our full calendar below.
Teacher Training and Development Programme - CALENDAR 2021
To proceed with a booking please fill in the form here ‘Course Booking Form’ and return it to email@example.com
For more information, please contact our Academic Director on firstname.lastname@example.org
Almost done! Here are some additional options which you may wish to add to your booking. After you have made your selections click the Book Now button.